Friday, September 3, 2010

Getting Started

So let’s say you want to start a budget, but you’re not sure how to begin.  Well, I won’t try to tell you how to set up a budget up because that is easy to look up online.  Just google budget.  The real obstacle is the will to do it.  My advice here is to start simple and get something done.  First drafts are great.  Getting something done is an accomplishment, and accomplishments make anyone feel good.

Simple is beautiful.  Simple is efficient.  Simple is manageable.  A kitchen knife works great.  It does what it is supposed to do, nothing more.  It works so well everyone has one.  Think about your budget in those terms.  It should be simple, and everyone should have one. 

Monthly Budget
Income
 $2,500

Expenses:

Rent
 $750
Power
 $100
Gas
 $45
Water
 $30
Internet
 $50
Cable
 $100
Insurance
 $135
Car Payment
 $300
Credit Card
 $500
ATM
 $300
Cell Phone
 $150
Total Exp.
 $2,460
Savings
 $40

Done. 

The numbers are just for illustrative purposes, but you get the point.  Over time, you can add to the budget, making it fit your needs.  My budget looks nothing like this, but this is how I started.  You’ve got to put a box around your income and expenses.  Once you understand it, you can start to control it.  


The last thing I say about this is that inspiration is temporary.  If you want to create a budget, do it right now.  If you wait, it probably won't get done.  As I've said before, this is not my insight; I took it from a book, Rework, by Jason Fried and David Heinemier Hansson.  I didn't even find the book on my own.  It was lent to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment